Listen and complete the notes with ONE WORD ONLY. Write down your answers in the comment section.
Plants that changed the world
Prehistory: flowering plants
- arrived about 130 million years ago
- became an essential source of 1 __________
2737 BC: tea
- discovered in China, played a key role in USA, China & UK
- led to financial problems in Britain – Chinese ruler insisted all tea was paid for with 2 _________, which had to be sourced from other countries.
202 BC: White Mulberry
- in demand from 202 BC when it was essential in the production of 3 _____________
- trade routes led to the spread of different 4 ______________ but also made more people ill and encouraged the exchange of dangerous products (e.g. 5 ____________)
16th century: the potato
- originated in Central and South America, brought to Europe by the 6 ___________
- it was rapidly accepted because it was cheap and contained lots of 7 ____________
- helped prevent one specific 8 _____________
- 1845 – 1849 – large-scale failure of potato crops led to a million deaths in Ireland and the
- 9 _______________ of another million people.